Opportunities for Extra Credit
Throughout the semester, you can earn extra credit, which will be added to your project score.
Computer Science in the News (Up to 5 points each)
If you find a news article about computer science or computing in general that you find interesting, write a brief summary about the article and post it as a reply/comment on the Canvas discussion forum to the "Extra Credit" topic. Each article you summarize is worth up to 5 points.
Your submission should include
- Complete article citation (author, title, etc.)
- If the article is online, include a link to the web page in your blog entry. If the article is not online, submit a paper copy of the article.
- A brief summary of the article, about 1 paragraph. (Label the paragraph as "Summary".)
- How you found the article (as in, how did you come across the article) (Label the sentence as "How Found".)
- Why you thought the article was interesting (Label as "Interest".)
- Any impact the article had on you--your knowledge, your choices, your preconceived notions, etc. (Label as "Impact".)
You may find interesting articles everywhere/anywhere but typically from (reputable) news sites. Articles about applying computing to your major/minor/hobbies/other classes are particularly fun.
Restrictions and Limitations
- The reviewed article must be at least 500 words long.
- You can submit up to 8 articles in one semester for extra credit.
- You can submit up to 2 articles in one 7-day period.
- To earn all 5 points, you must use proper English grammar, spelling, and punctuation in the write up, and you must demonstrate understanding and interest in the article.